We are a group of dedicated ladies with a mission to serve the community. An article inspired sixteen ambitious women to meet in the Jeplinor Hotel in March 1913 to organize what they hoped would be a service club.
The outcome of that meeting came in June 1913 when nineteen ladies signed the Charter of Incorporation for the Woman’s Club of Bradenton. Their motto, “be not simply good, be good for something”
In 1918, with only $3.00 in the treasury, two lots on Wares Creek at the corner of Manatee Avenue and Virginia Drive were purchased for the sum of $1500.
The membership voted, in 1920, to build a clubhouse for not less that $20,000. With only $11,500 in the treasury, a loan was secured from Bradentown Bank & Trust Company for $11,000. The final agreed-upon price with the architect was $23,000.
In 1921, the building was completed. The Club had a beautiful home to dedicate. But not a single chair to sit in. A distress meeting was called and enough was collected to buy the chairs in time for the night of the building’s dedication.
Evie's Tavern & Grill on Main St.1560 Main St , Sarasota FL, 34236
Fine Wine & Tastings on Main8111 Lakewood Main Street, Unit J105 , Bradenton FL, 34202
News & Articles
Say Something or Ask a Question about The Bradenton Woman's Club